Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Wow, we actually said "no" to Saudi Arabia. It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out, because it's going to take some skills to balance things out. Right now, we've got the Saudis up in arms over accusations that people over there have been helping al Qaeda. But we don't want to piss them off too much by telling them who exactly it is that we have our suspicions about.

Let's get hypothetical for a minute. What do you think would happen if we found out that the Saudi government was helping the terrorists? Even if went so far as to directly fund the September 11th attacks? Look, I have my doubts about what the hell is up with that country, but I'm not saying that I think this is what happened - I obviously don't know. I'm just throwing this scenario out for argument's sake. By "found out," I mean it becomes public knowledge. Do you think people would finally get pissed, and start calling for an end to relations with Saudi Arabia? What would happen when you told them that gas might go up $.06 a gallon for even thinking about it? How far is the government willing to go to protect the Saudi-US relationship? How far are we willing to go?

No comments: