Monday, August 25, 2003

The author of this article brings up some good points about what shallow cunts we are as a society.

I, for one, can attest to how society fucks with your head. I know I'm not special or alone in this regard, but I don't think that makes me any less qualified to add to the discussion.

I developed a good sense of who I am sometime ago. Believe it or not, I like who I turned into. But still, you always feel like that's never good enough, mainly because it isn't. My main psychosis, which as you may have guessed is one of many, is being short. I'll give you an example as to how I've bought into the bullshit about height: as I was reading the teaser to that article, I got a little flutter of hope that they may have come up with a way to make adults grow taller without giving them special shoes or fucking killing them.

Here's the deal, again a "believe it or not": I don't see a fucking thing wrong with being short. Yeah, it doesn't exactly come in handy when I need to reach high places, but it'll make fitting into a sportscar all that much easier (once I'm living in fantasyland where I have a real fucking job). There are pros and cons. But I don't see why the fuck that has to do so much with being treated like an adult or catching someone's eye. The problem ends up not how I view myself, but how I feel others perceive me. And don't give me any shit that maybe I'm seeing myself as I truly think I am when I look through someone else's eyes. I'm not that fucking stupid. And, sure, my view of myself through others' eyes is probably skewed a lot of times. The problem is that, statistically speaking, my assessment is correct. And I know that it is - 24 years of being bombarded with the same crap will give you that impression. It's like certain stereotypes; you shouldn't believe in them, but if they're proved true often enough, they're hard to shake.

The thing is, when it comes to height, or whatever, we always come up with some bullshit excuse as to why other people have such a problem with it. Lots of times, the argument I usually hear is some pseudo-evolutionary argument that "people with trait X are viewed as being more capable, thus more able to attract a mate and send their genes on to the next generation." Yeah, well, if that's the case, then why are so many of us "deficient" people still around? No, you know what it is? Sick, shallow, American shit that makes people feel bad about things that they didn't choose and have little or no control over for no reason other than to show that we're so advanced that our biggest talent is making other people miserable. I'm not just talking about height, I'm talking about all sorts of shit, like were pointed out in that article. For all I know, it could be "sick, shallow, human shit," and I just haven't traveled the world yet to find out for sure. I'll get back to you once I find out.

Okay, I could go on and on about this, but I had better shut up before I really get pissed and lead you on a longer, more hellish journey through this dark corner of my mind. Yeah, I know that I've had the deck stacked against me in some regards, but not in others. Yes, I know that I can't always use this as crutch to avoid working on my issues, even though I know I do that. I'm just saying that society is a bitch, and it can fuck with you for a long, long time. That's all.

No comments: