Tuesday, August 12, 2003

So has everyone out there heard of flash mobs? Maybe I'm behind the times, but today is the first time I A. heard about them and B. paid attention to what they are. And I've gotta tell you, I think flash mobs are officially the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard of. Apparently, for those living in the closet like me, someone posts somewhere that there's gonna be a flash mob. No one knows what they're going to do when they get there, because that's part of the deal. The mob receives "instructions" once they've gathered at the set place and time. They then do some nonsensical activity as prescribed by said instructions. The fucked up thing is, people actually do show up for this shit. They even think it's fun. You've got to be kidding me.

I first read about this shit in today's paper, because my city had its first flash mob, apparently. They actually interviewed some woman who was relived that it didn't turn out a hoax, because if it turned out there wasn't really going to be a mob, they would have all looked stupid. Obviously, I'm paraphrasing a bit, but that's pretty much the gist of it. Anyway, the task handed down from the mountain to the sheep here was for people on the street and people up in buildings to play imaginary ping pong. If you haven't heard of this shit before, I promise you, I'm not making this up. It took several re-reads of the beginning of the article to make me understand what the fuck was going on. It's not that it was written in code or even a foreign language, it's just that it was so fucking stupid that my mind had trouble processing it.

This is it folks; it's over. We have officially lost our fucking minds. I thought we had before, but I was wrong, because now the time has arrived. People's lives are completely bankrupt, they will listen to anything and follow the dumbest of orders, and they think that bullshit is fun. There is no hope, and there is no going back. We're finished.

No comments: