Wednesday, September 03, 2003

... And to reinvigorate the seething hatred, I offer this link.

I know it's only Alabama, but it's really fucking sick to see the chief justice of a state's supreme court not understanding something like the first amendment.

Moore's logic is weaker than the bones of an 86 year-old with osteoporosis. He acts like "acknowledgement of god" and "rule of law" are tangible things, and by removing the "acknowledgement" part, we're somehow diminishing the "rule of law" part. Yes, things like the Ten Commandments are the basis of our laws. I realized the other day that a lot of my morals and ethics are, if nothing else, descended from the Judeo-Christian ethics of the society I was brought up in. I haven't abandoned a lot of those morals (not to say that I haven't lost one or two along the way...), I just like to think that I've outgrown things like the Ten Commandments. If the Ten Commandments were suddenly banned from ever being displayed again, I wouldn't suddenly go berserk and start killing people, no matter how much I want to. Rule of law won't disintegrate just because you're not allowed to "acknowledge god," which Moore doesn't even realize is a euphemism for "promote Christianity." Moore's argument is non sequitur at its finest.

"And the Constitution of the United States is very clear in saying that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." No it isn't. If it were clear, we might not be having this debate. Howvever, it can be easy for something to be "very clear" once you've decided on an interpretation that supports your ideals.

Moore says "When a judge, a federal district judge, says, I don't know what the words mean, but this is what I think they mean, he's entering into a lawless order..." That's just fucking stupid; he's not descending into "lawless order," he's descending into the American system. That's why we have judges, to interpret the law and the Constitution, which they can only do based on what they think. It's not perfect, but it's the best we can do.

Is there anywhere in the country where adultery is illegal? You know Moore and his followers, the Taliban, would like it to be if it isn't. Sure, cheating on your SO is a shitty thing to do, but we don't need laws to tell us that.

Moore says "this is an issue that has plagued this country for 40 years." Does anyone know what happened 40 years ago? Wasn't that when we were in the midst of the Civil Rights Movement? I could be totally wrong, especially since no racists have ever come from Alabama, but the specific mention of 40 years seemed kinda odd. I'm sure it was just some specific court case involving separation of church and state, but my weak implication that Moore is a racist is clever, isn't it? Shows you just how easy it is to come up with unfounded shit that sounds good.

I'm pre-emptively pissed off that Moore is going to end up a winner from this whole debate. Whether or not he gets his job back, he's alredy attending (probably lucrative) speaking engagements, and he's become a hero to millions of sheep, so he's already won. Fuck, Roy has me beat, if nothing else just based on how much of my life I've wasted complaining about him.

In the end, Moore just shows himself to be another ignorant, asshole prick who, surprise surprise, just happens to be a Christian conservative. I'm not saying all assholes are Christian conservatives, but I am saying that all Christian conservatives are assholes. Moore is so full of shit when he says it's about his legal duty to acknowledge god, because it's actually all about his personal desire to promote Christianity. You know, we often negelct the Jewish part of "Judeo-Christian," even though we use that term a lot. If someone wanted to rectify this by placing a big ol' menorah in the rotunda of the Alabama Judicial Building, our friend Roy here would shit his pants. Unfortunately, he'd be shitting his pants because someone didn't praise Jesus, and not because the menorah display is fucking illegal.

No comments: