Sunday, November 23, 2003

You know what band I always hear getting ripped on, and it fucking pisses me off every time I hear that shit? Huey Lewis and the News. I'm dead fucking serious.

Huey Lewis and the News are like one of my favorite bands... Ever. These guys and the Police were my favorites when I was growing up back in the 80s. Christ, I remember when I got Fore!. On cassette. I remember it pretty well because my grandpa bought it for me, which was strange because he never bought me anything. It's not because he was a jerk (quite the opposite; my grandpa's better than you are), it's just because he left all of the buying of shit to my grandmother, who spoiled me rotten. Nice to see things have changed and I'm not a spoiled little shit anymore.

Anyway, the thing is, it's not like some things you love as a kid and then see/hear/whatever as an adult, and you realize how much it actually sucks. Atari is a great example. Back in, I dunno, '86-'87 or whenever, I remember my babysitter's kids had an Atari. One of the games they had was (of course) Pitfall. I thought Pitfall for the 2600 was the greatest fucking thing EVER. I thought it was the shit until a couple of years ago when a friend busted out her old 2600, and we fired up Pitfall. After about three seconds of playing, I was like, "This isn't very good."

Huey Lewis has not been met with the same fate as Pitfall. I'm listening to Sports right now, and yeah, it kicks some serious ass. "Heart of Rock & Roll," "Bad is Bad," "I want a new Drug," etc. God damn it, stop laughing, this album is great.

Are we just in denial of the whole 80s thing, and we're just taking it all out on Huey Lewis and the News? Why are they so reviled nowadays? Regardless of why, stop that!

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nuthin', but Huey Lewis and the News is a sweet band - and you know it.

No comments: