Friday, December 19, 2003

And while we're on the subject of advertisements, here's another series that's pissing me off.

"When they ask you why you fell asleep at your babysitting job, just tell them it's because you were stoned."

"When she asks you why you didn't pick her up for the prom, just tell her you couldn't do it because you were high."

The punchline to all these ads is "Responsibility: Your anti-drug."

Fuck you, assholes. You know what my anti-drug is? Not doing drugs.

I don't do drugs because I don't want to. Despite going to a school fairly well stereotyped for schooling a bunch of potheads, I've never done shit. Maybe that's because I'm stupid, and it's definitely because I'm a stiff.

When it comes to these ads, I got it, all right? You don't need to try and sell me on this, because I made up my mind ALL ON MY OWN. And I suspect that pretty much everyone else is going to do much the same, whether they choose to do drugs or not. But odds are no one is going to be swayed one way or the other based on what the "Partnership for a drug-free America" told them.

I've ranted about ant-drug ads before and how much I hate them. They piss me off for several reasons. First, I don't think that they do fucking shit to stem the use of drugs. Furthermore, in many cases, I don't think that we should be wasting all this money to stem the use of drugs. I don't give a shit if a lot of people do drugs, as long as there's no violent crime involved and they're not fucking with anyone else as a result.

A lot of this stuff should just be legalized. I mean, if alcohol is legal, then some illicit drugs should be. Once again, though, pot doesn't have the money and influence that tobacco and alcohol do. As such, I'm stuck listening to ads that are completely irrelevant to both me and everyone else in the fucking world.

No comments: