Friday, December 12, 2003

Was this really necessary?

I can understand the need to cover your ass, but c'mon. Regardless of how people may view Microsoft, I sincerely doubt anyone is going to accuse them of being Nazis. And I mean bona-fide goose-stepping, gas chamber NSDAP Nazis.

Also, I fully understand what the swastika represents when it comes to the Nazis. I also understand that there are other uses of the symbol (as pointed out in that article), and chances are that's why the symbol was present in that font.

Do people really need to be patching their systems to remove the character? I mean, really. It's not like someone is going to show up, bust out "charmap" and say "Hey! You have a FONT that you DIDN'T CREATE that has a swastika. You must be a NAZI."

I can understand finding the symbol offensive and all, but does removing it from your computer change anything? It's not like it gets rid of swastikas elsewhere, nor gets rid of the ignorance that is associated with Nazism.

No comments: