Saturday, March 20, 2004

Also, for those who haven't been keeping up, there have been occasional sailor schoolgirl updates. Depending on if it's showing up in your browser or not, you may or may not have noticed a new super-pretentious feature: in addition to the romanized names for us gai-jin, I've also started putting each model's name in Japanese. This is not any sort of attempt to show off my Japanese skills, since I have none, but to show off my nerd skills in figuring out how to get Japanese text both into web pages. This also had a bonus side effect of figuring out how to input Japanese text into web forms and shit, which should really help to curb my shopping issues over at Also, I'm curious as to whether or not this can help generate search engine-based hits.

For anyone who cares, and I know there are so many of you out there, listed below are a few resources I came across for dealing with the Japanese language under Linux. The programs/utilities I ended up using are canna for the conversion server, kinput2 for (cleverly) inputting shit for canna to handle, vim for text editing, and kterm as a Japanese-language capable terminal emulator.

Guide to using Japanese under Linux
Getting Mozilla set up to allow Japanese input
Using kinput2 in Mozilla once Mozilla is able

No comments: