Monday, March 29, 2004

This is really funny. TB is accusing Kerry of exploiting the Bible. This coming from the group whose ostensible leader says he was chosen by god to be president.

Man, Fox News is as comical as it is annoying. Look at that banner: "You Decide 2004." Yeah, I think Fox News and its patrons have pretty much already made their decision.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I'm reading Fox News like a bad little liberal, I was out doing a little research on Charles Pickering and was actually trying to be fair and balanced, which led me to Fox at one point. You know Pickering, the nominee for the 5th circuit who Bush installed via recess appointment. There was a piece on 60 Minutes last night, which painted a picture of him as being all about civil rights, something the Ds have accused him of having a shady history on. This made me wonder why exactly the Ds were fighting so hard against Pickering, and it also reminded me of how embarrassingly superficial I am when it comes to the issues.

Anyway, in an attempt to find out more about Pickering, I read a few older articles, such as this Salon article. In the 60 Minutes segment, the only D viewpoint expressed was the case where Pickering seemingly went soft on a cross burner. I knew there had to be more to it than just that, though. After all, the Ds have confirmed the vast majority of Bush's court nominees, and are only holding out on a handful. I figure for the ones they're refusing to let go to a vote, there's gotta be a good reason to go though that shit. Although I really didn't care for the Salon article, as it was heavy on innuendo and light on evidence (much like someone we know, yes, but I'm not pretending to be a serious journalist here), it did at least give me some indication that the Ds are fighting Pickering because there are some legitimate questions out there about his past when it comes to race issues.

Some other articles and opinions on the Pickering debate can be found here in Fox's report on the recess appointment, as well as NOW's report on the man.

No comments: