Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Where is your lord and savior for you now?!?

I'm sorry (no I'm not), but I'm always kinda glad when missionaries die. No, let's not sugarcoat it. I'm a bad person, so I can just come out and say it: it makes me happy when missionaries die. Bonus happy points when they're Southern Ignorant Fucking Baptists.

Why do I hate missionaries so? Well, they're the embodiment of one of the main reasons why I hate organized religion. They represent that bullshit need to not only believe in a bunch of stupid shit, but to also feel this self-serving need to push it on others who might already have their own system of stupid shit that they believe in.

Do missionaries do some valuable work? Maybe. Are they pretty ballsy to be doing it in a place like Iraq? Sure. But I hate how the work always comes with a string attached, that string being Jesus. They show up with a shovel in one hand, which is great, but the Bible in the other, which isn't.

If they're so fucking noble, why can't they leave religion out of it and just do the aid work? Because they're self-centered assholes who are part of a special little club. They like it when new people join in the club, because that helps validate their existing membership. "Hey, somebody else agrees with me. I must be right!" Sponsoring new members might even win them some big points with the man upstairs. Right. Nothing self-serving there.

In the end, many will come back to saying that they're doing good work to help people. Ah, if only I could be convinced that they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. Also, side from the actual work that they do, there are plenty of potentially harmful side effects. Like the breeding of hostility towards Christians and Americans in general. We know how well that works out. When it comes to the middle east, it's a big help in the "this isn't Christianity versus Islam" game, isn't it? So to counter the argument of "they're doing good things in the end," I leave you with a thought you can appreciate: the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

No comments: