Wednesday, April 07, 2004

So I just got Mozilla running with the stupid Java plugin for the first time in... Forever. Apprently, Mozilla versions past 1.3 need a Java plugin compiled with GCC 3.x. When Mozilla goes to automatically dowload the missing plugin, though, does it go and find one compiled with 3.x? No, of course not, because that would work. But if you go snag JRE 1.4.2 on your own, it has an appropriately compiled plugin. At least someone has their shit together, but even still: fuck Java.

While we're on the subject of Mozilla, has anyone tried 1.6 or 1.7b and had it start up in a state where it A) won't automatically go to your set homepage and B) won't load bookmarks (including the personal toolbar) until you do something like "Manage bookmarks"? I'm of course running on Linux, the land of "Making everything harder than it needs to be, but it's still better than Windows... Mostly." I've heard good things about Firebird/Phoenix/Firefox/BrowserFucker, so maybe I'll give that another trial run as well.

UPDATE: Nevermind, as it turns out, blowing away my chrome.rdf file fixed the issue. Of course, that broke Tabbrowser extensions, which is normally a clusterfuck to install, but magically I was able to get that working, too. Finally, I'm back on the bleeding edge without making myself want to bleed.

UPDATE 2: Oh, and guess what? Mozilla 1.7b has the Blogger posting screen all fucked up. It's a good thing I don't use that too often. God fucking damn it. It's always something.

TIP: If you're fucking around with Mozilla versions and settings, it's a good idea to back up your bookmarks. I don't know how many fucking times Mozilla has just decided "Hey, this kid isn't pissed off enough. Let's delete his huge list of bookmarks." I would have gotten hit by this AGAIN tonight if I didn't have a backup in place (my backup being "cp bookmarks.html ~", in addition to my rdiff backup). Fucking douchebag Mozilla.