Monday, September 27, 2004

Six Discs in My Changer

As a preface to this post, if you don't know who Fluke is, then you're living under a huge rock as you've somehow avoided hearing both "Atom Bomb" and "Absurd" for the past several years even though they've been all over the place. Also, if this description fits you, you're missing out and your life sucks.

Okay, so I got two new Fluke CDs over the weekend. By new, of course, I mean old -- Oto and Six Wheels on My Wagon. I hadn't picked these up yet since, naturally, they're only available as imports since we don't get anything good here because America sucks. I mean, it's no wonder us liberals hate America so much -- we can't even get our Fluke fix without having to go overseas.

Oh, and before you start in with that "Well, if you hate it so much, why don't you just leave?" bullshit, stop. Quit thinking you're clever, because you're not.

So far, I fucking love SWOMW. I've been playing it pretty much non-stop for the past several days. As such, what happened with the three-disc Progressive History XXX (AKA Hardcore, as opposed to the domestic Progressive History X, otherwise known as Softcore -- not a value judgment, by the way, because both compilations fucking rule) is happening with these two new discs. You see, with Hardcore, I almost always listen to disc 1. Yes, there's lots of cool stuff on the other two, but lots of times when I consider listening to one of them, I'm like, "Shit, I could be listening to disc 1 right now. It has track two, the second best track from anywhere."

As such, discs 2 and 3 get neglected, even though they don't deserve it. So far, Oto is suffering this fate. I just can't stop listening to SWOMW (unless of course if I'm listening to Hardcore disc 1, as I am right now). Maybe once I get my shit together and hit more of Oto we can buck this trend, but I'm not making any promises.

For some reason, I just don't get sick of any of these damn Fluke CDs, whether I listen to any particular disc constantly or just every now and then. It's been nice, because it's meant that I haven't had a continual driving urge to buy new music for quite some time now. This is useful for A) the wallet and B) the fact that there's virtually nothing but crap out there anyway. Not that I don't pick up new CDs from time to time (usually just more random noise -- you know, techno), but if some great tragedy befell the world and I had to live the rest of my days with only what I've got on hand, I'd be perfectly fine with that. Until, of course, a new Fluke album came out.

One thing that's always been hard for me to grasp with relationships is how people can do something like get married and then actually be happy for the rest of their fucking lives together. Now, it's not that I'm afraid of commitment, it's just that I oftentimes just tend to get sick of people after awhile, even if there are no issues whatsoever. Like, do you remember the story I told about the Vegas trip where I spent every waking moment of one week with this one friend of mine, and at one point I had to wander Paris aimlessly for five minutes by myself just to get some proverbial fresh air away from him? Yeah, stuff like that is what I'm talking about. Maybe you'll get out your textbook and try and psych 101 that into a fear of commitment, Freud, but you're wrong.

Thanks to Fluke, though, I do see that it's possible to have consistent exposure to something and not get sick of it. Granted, Fluke and I haven't been together for our entire lives yet (and I hope I'm not close to that point, either -- gotta cover my bases just in case they are listening and get any bright ideas), but it's looking real good. Most other CDs get constant play in the beginning and then some action every once in awhile, but it's been practically all Fluke, all the time for the past few years with me.

So what I need to do is find myself the female equivalent of Fluke. Some who, while I don't like absolutely everything that they do, I find enough good stuff in that I know they're pretty much better than everyone else. Hmm, I guess this doesn't quite work, though, since no matter how committed I am to Fluke, I don't know that Fluke likes me back. But wait a minute -- they must like the fact that I give them money, and I'll be damned if that doesn't sound exactly like a woman. I am the best at all metaphors!

No comments: