Thursday, April 13, 2006

Sometimes nigga you gotta race quit your fucking bitching

I like Dave Chappelle. He's a funny guy, and has to be in my top ten list of comics. I never saw much of Chappelle's Show, but I am certainly sick and tired of hearing shit about him quitting it. If it's finally done, and never coming back, fine. Shut the fuck up about it, Dave. I'm tired of all the whiney excuses. "I had to sell out, boo hoo!" is basically how it's coming across.

Sorry, but that seems to be the nature of things in that business. Someone throws fifty mill at you, which you agree to, and I'm guessing you're going to have to allow yourself to be compromised. That doesn't make it right; that's just how it is. I don't doubt that he went through some shit, and it's hard to fault someone for sticking to principle. Except when they sign that big contract beforehand while knowing full well what's probably gonna happen.

"I felt like I was really pressured to settle for something that I didn't necessarily feel like I wanted."

Again, boo hoo. Sell out or don't, I don't give a shit, but quit the nonsense complaining.

"The thing about show business is that, in a way, it forces dysfunctional relationships in people."

Duh. Not a single one of us needs to be in show business to know that everyone involved in it is fucked up.

"The bottom line was, white people own everything, and where can a black person go and be himself or say something that's familiar to him and not have to explain or apologize?"

And quitting your show helps this situation how?

I should really reserve judgment until I've read the full article (which I won't), but this seems pretty consistent with everything I've heard since he went AWOL. Let's all go watch Killin' Them Softly, which is one of the better comedy specials ever put together, and try and forget all this ever happened.