Sunday, February 22, 2004

7% Part Deux

Speaking of ETP, I never mentioned anything about our follow-up to our first attempt at making sushi. Mainly because no one cares. Okay, that's not really why, seeing as how I pretty much expect no one to care about anything I post. Actually, I never said anything since it turned out to be decently successful. As we all know, success is nice, but it's rarely, if ever, as entertaining as failure. Especially when that failure is someone else's. As such, I don't know why I post so much about my own failures, but what can I say? I'm a weird kid.

So yeah, Super Bowl Sunday ended up with us poseur gai-jin making ourselves some sushi, this time complete with decent (imitation) crab meat for the California rolls, and finally some actual raw fish. After a few weeks, I'm pretty sure that we got some decent quality fish, and that I didn't pick up any parasites and die. Pretty sure.

Haven't gotten any more fish since then, but I have been working on the roll technique. Well, to be honest, it's not so much "technique" as of yet, but more of a "can we get something coherent together" kind of situation. And yeah, I'm getting decent. Working on different ways of preparing the rice, different ingredients, and most importantly, how the fuck to make sure all of the filling (crab, cucumber, avocado) stays inside the roll. It's not as easy as it looks, but I'm getting there.

It's kind of amusing that I have virtually nothing in my cabinets with which to prepare food, but I have all this stuff for making sushi. Stuff which is actually getting used. Which is good, because it means all my nice sushi plates will actually get used for... Sushi. But yeah, where the hell else are you going to find a box of Special K next to nori (seaweed sheets used for rolls), along with other sushi supplies, a couple cans of soup, and... Virtually nothing else?

You see, I just can't get all that excited to cook most other shit for myself. It's not that I can't cook, nor is it that I'm afraid of cooking. I usually just can't get motivated to cook a whole meal just for just one person. I know, I know: leftovers. I hate leftovers. They never taste as god the day after, and that's just such a fucking letdown.

No comments: