Thursday, May 13, 2004

Relax, I'm still going to be doing plenty of regular posts

Yeah, I just like writing too much. Well, I wouldn't call this writing per se, but it's a reasonable first-order approximation.

We all know that I've had a lifelong complex about my height. But, you know, I'm dealing with it. Poorly, sure, but I'm dealing with it. One thing that I've always found interesting - interesting in a "society is fucking sick" kind of way - is how we're never happy with anyone. Take for instance this guy. Now, granted, many of his problems are health related, but then there's the element of taking shit from others for being too tall. I've seen plenty of this over the years. You're too short, you're an outcast. But if you're too tall, you're an outcast too. I'm not talking Guinness Book of World Records tall people, just people who are a decent amount taller than their peers. As a society, we are about as unnecessarily harsh and picky as... Well, me.

Look, I understand how it is. We just have this natural conformist streak in us. We preach and preach about "individuality," but you had better not wander too far from the norm otherwise you're fucked. I know there's really no way around this, since it's just a lame feature of Us.

Another reason why it irks me to give people shit over things like height is because that falls into the bigger class of "shit people can't control." Yes, of course. I'm a huge fucking asshole and I make fun of others for things they can't control all the time, but that doesn't mean I feel good about it. Okay, I feel good when others laugh at my awful jokes, but in the end, I still know I'm a bad person, okay? I do try and make fun of things that people do have some control over as much as possible. Things like ignorance and stupidity. Sure, if you're a complete fucking moron, it's not like you can will yourself to be smart instead of a conservative Christian stupid. But I think damn near everyone is at least smart enough to know that they can just keep their fucking trap shut.

"It is better to have people think you're an idiot and keep your mouth shut than to open it and remove all doubt."
- Mark Twain, and yes, I know, I am definitely not living by this quote

No comments: