Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Yeah, I'll show you an overaggressive culture of organized youth sports. Look, I don't even know what that means, but it's obviously dirty. In all seriousness, though, some of the stuff they mention in that article is just fucked up. I want to learn how to purposely dislocate my shoulder to ease pain, except that I don't.

"It's impossible for a 13-year-old to have this kind of wear and tear."

No it isn't. Okay, I'll stop.

Seriously, this sports shit in this country has gotten out of hand. It's bad enough with all the time, energy, and money that goes into watching sports. Yeah, getting all emotionally invested in bunch of illiterates playing with a ball is probably pretty healthy. You really shouldn't be getting so excited and bent out of shape over shit that you can't control that has no real bearing on your life unless if you're actually involved somehow or you're a heavy gambler.

But there are always going to be stupid assholes who take shit to extremes, and when it comes to being an extreme asshole, no one does it better than parents. Regardless of the reason -- a need to live vicariously through your child, your own personal ego, whatever -- if you find yourself pushing your kid anywhere near that hard on something ridiculous like sports, you should probably be shot.

Sports can be fun, sports can be entertaining, and sports can be beneficial to one's health, but when all that goes awry we've got, well, a whole new ballgame. You'd think parents would clue in once surgery is either on the table or being suggested by said parents, but then you just don't know how screwed up some parents can be.

On the other hand, though, if kids wanna get hurt -- fuck 'em. Let 'em get hurt. I think this comes back to one of my old tenets: everyone really just needs to die (except me and the people for whom I say otherwise).

I've been trying to de-invest myself in sports because it's all so dumb. But I know that I'm still gonna take in the occasional Cubs or Broncos game and still get pissed when they suck. And I'm still gonna listen to Jim Rome (even if the sports shit is not why I like that guy). If I can just not take it so damn seriously, I'll feel better about it from my end. Doesn't do anything, really, but it's what I'm aiming for.

No comments: