Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Man, is Windows the biggest fucking piece of shit ever. When I'm doing a Win98 install, it does a 'routine' system check. As part of this check, it randomly decides whether or not it's going to do a surface scan which takes, on average, 3 years to complete. Today, my number came up, and it decided that it was going to do a surface scan. As a bonus, it found a bunch of errors. I suppose that's good, even though I never trust Windows when it says it's found something wrong, and I don't really trust its 'fix' for the problems it finds. But, you have to do it, or it won't let the installation continue.

This drive I have at work is apparently all fucked up, and its found a bunch of bad areas. Can I just tell it to just fix every problem it encounters, without asking me to confirm? No, of course not. It wants me to confirm every fucking time. So I'm sitting here with the 'enter' key on one of my work computers TAPED DOWN to avoid this manual intervention. I have a fucking degree in computer engineering, and this is what I'm reduced to.

No comments: