Thursday, September 18, 2003

It's been a lazy day so far, as probably evidenced by the couple of random posts I've made. For some reason, I'm not motivated at the moment to go read the news and do the usual shit like rip into the Bush administration. Don't worry; that'll be back.

I've spent most of my time this afternoon deleting an abnormally infuriating amount of spam and reading Sarah's 'blog.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here feeling like Babe Ruth, waiting for a call to go manage a pro team, a call that may never come. Meanwhile, I'm dreading tomorrow morning and a trip to this year's fall career fair at my alma mater. If I don't get the job for which I'm waiting for the phone to ring, I'm viewing the career fair as one of the last decent chances I'm going to have for finding a real job anytime soon. I just know that the career fair is going to be a bunch of depressing crap like it was last year, over and over again hearing "submit your resume online," which immediately signals to me that that the company either isn't hiring, or they're not interested in hiring recent college grads. They're just at the fair to keep their company name out there. Otherwise, it'll be the other thing I heard a lot of last year: "we're maybe looking to do some hiring in June." Of course, the economy doesn't pick up, and no one wants to hire anyone that doesn't have 5+ years of solid experience, June or otherwise.

After the fucking career fair, however, I'm totally stoked. This weekend is most definitely nerd time, as the big anime con for my city is going down. Even though my income stream may be drying up very soon, I've been preparing myself, and more importantly my bank account, for this weekend. I'm looking at this as one last hurrah for a dying regime, the regime of having some sort of job and being financially free to buy the shit I want to buy. On the non-materialistic side, I've been looking forward to this as a time to have some fun. Being the dumbass that I am, I have enough trouble enjoying myself in decently good times. Over the past several months, it's been even more difficult to find joy in this time of total uncertainty and diminishing sense of self-worth.

Alright, that's enough feeling sorry for myself. Shit sucks, boo fucking hoo. All the complaining, however, is a nice segue into my next post.

No comments: