Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I fucking hate dealing with RPMs. Why the fuck Redhat has never built an RPM system that can automatically resolve dependencies I will never know. It's shit like that which has had me doing most of my installs by building from source.

That being said, this is fucking money. The apt system is Debian's package management scheme, and lots of people love it. I've known about the apt port that can work with RPMs for quite awhile, but today is the first time I've tried it, and it's fucking sweet. It was actually able to install transcode, a fucking pain in the ass video utility suite, which has like a billion dependencies. The only problems it gave me in installing transcode were related to my broken install of transcode from before apt-rpm.

Setting it up was pretty easy, too. Well, once I found the freshrpms link that had the RPM (the source distribution from the apt-rpm homepage was fucked up), at least. Once I installed it, I just ran "apt-get update" to build some package/dependency lists, and it was good to go.

No comments: