Wednesday, November 26, 2003

I am in a strange house with a strange cat. That's probably going to require some explanation, along with why I'm already fucking posting when I said that there was a good chance that I wouldn't for the next few days. Also, this is nothing more than pointless shit about my pointless life when, yes, I said this wasn't going to become some lame online journal. You know what? This 'blog is going to be what it is, and that's that. The political shit won't go away, believe me, but neither is the "lame-ass personal life shit."

Soooo... On with the show.

Here's the situation. My parents, grandparents, and I all wanted to visit my aunt and uncle for Thanksgiving. The problem is, their house really isn't big enough to comfortably accommodate all these guests. There was this whole big bullshit drama which raged for weeks over who was going to be going on the visit and who was going to stay where. Hotels weren't exactly an optimal solution, and cramming all these people under one roof didn't seem all that great. At one point, a friend of my aunt said that he was going to be out of town all week since he was spending Thanksgiving with his girlfriend and her family, and that I could stay at his place. Great, problem solved. More or less.

We get into town, and my aunt says she got a call from her friend. He says to her "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is your nephew still has a place to stay. The bad news is he's going to have a roommate." The "roommate" is the friend of my aunt's whose place I'm staying at. As it turns out, his girlfriend decided to start pressing him on some commitment-related issues. Specifically, religion. She's found Jesus; he has not. This led to a big fight, them breaking up, and him coming home ahead of schedule.

That's not so bad. More or less.

As anyone who knows me knows, and as many may have been able to surmise from this 'blog, I'm not real good around people. It's not because I'm the flaming asshole shooting his mouth off about everything like I am in this 'blog and like I am around certain people who I'm very comfortable with. No, I'm not good with people because I am horribly, horribly shy. I'm terrified of people I don't know, and quite frankly, somewhat terrified of some people that I do know.

As such, I'm a little nervous about this whole arrangement. But, I'll live. As long as we were able to sort out all the nonsense and get us all together for Thanksgiving, that's cool. Right now, and for the rest of the evening, I even have this guy's place to myself, since his friends have already hooked him up with another girl, and that's what he's up to tonight. As my aunt pointed out, for all I know, this guy might not even show up at all this weekend. Apparently, he likes to party.

So where the fuck does the cat come in? Oh, don't worry - I know just how anxious you are to hear about the cat.

To make things even more interesting (which goes to show you how dull normal life is for me if this counts as interesting), this guy's sister is out of the country and she left her cat with him. Hence, we have me, in a strange house with a strange cat.

The cat spent the first several minutes of my tenure here hiding under the bed. After awhile, she would come out every few minutes, check me out, and when I made the slightest move, run back under the bed. We're making progress, however, as she's walked up to me and sniffed me (ahhh, pets), and even let me sorta pet her. She's wandering the house freely, which looks like she's where cats usually are with humans - she could give less than a shit about me being here. She's the Borg, basically. I've been deemed "not a threat," and consequently, she's ignoring me.

This is why I love cats: they have self-esteem. To some people it's just snootiness, to me, it's self-esteem. Dogs are so fucking needy - they always want you to pet them and play with them. Cats, on the other hand, couldn't give fuck about you. They have 3/4 of a day to sleep away, a little bit of eating, a shit here and there (which many of them can handle all on their own), and if they so desire, you can pet and play with them for six seconds. Cats don't need you, and they can get along just fine without you. Sure, they depend on you for food, but they're confident in their training of you, and they know you will not fail to provide.

Oh, and as for why I'm posting? This guy, who I've never met, whose house I'm spending the night at, happens to have broadband. Fuckin' A. So, I have something to do before bed, and you, lucky you, get another shitty 'blog post.

No comments: