Tuesday, April 20, 2004

WE'RE LOSING EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!

Look, I understand the motivations behind the PC movement. I really do. There's a lot of shit in our language that does nothing but promote white male dominance, enforce racism, etc. The PC movement, I think, started with the intent of fixing that stuff, but there are numerous cases where it has gone too far. Have we gone too far with the X-American labeling of groups, where X is some racial subgroup? I'm asking this as a serious question, because I don't know and I don't think I'm qualified to answer it. I mean, I can look to the half of my lineage that's not white - Hispanic, American Indian - and I don't necessarily feel like I'm maligning my heritage when I don't feel the need to use PC terms to describe those aspects of my blood. On the other hand, despite that half non-white part of me, I have to face facts that I'm pretty fucking white and embarrassingly non-ethnic despite what some of my ancestors might have to say about it.

For those who do fall into one of the "X" categories who don't suffer from my lame ambiguity, do you feel the need to have your race referred to as "X-American," or are you fine with one of the more - for lack of a better term - traditional names? And of course, I'm referring to the non-racist names. Or is anything non-PC racist now? I suppose there's probably no easy answer, because it depends on what label is being used and the particular person who's using that label.

No comments: