Thursday, May 25, 2006

I made a fucked up computer game, for my art

Hey, so has anyone heard of or played Super Columbine Massacre RPG!? Yes, someone made a game about Columbine. You knew it would happen at some point or other. It's not what you would call a professional game, but it still looks like some effort went into making it, both from the research side and the game-making side.

I find myself wondering as to whether or not this game was created simply out of a sense of humor with a level of sickness that parallels my own, or if it was made with some genuinely laudable intentions. Or both. I'd try it out myself, but it's a Windows executable and I haven't bothered getting W2K running on my box since I upgraded it several months ago, and I'm not in the mood to fuck around with that or Wine at the moment. Basically, I'm posting this to see if anyone else has fucked around with it, and also to either get ETP to download and play with it or so that we'll think to download it sometime when we're at their place.

I think the fact that there's an exclamation point in the name of the game is pretty telling. Then there's the "artist's statement" on the game's website. First off, anyone who makes a point to call themselves an "artist" is probably an artist, alright -- a shitty one. Plus, he drones on with all this superficial, self-serving social commentary, that his statement could just be a quick attempt to cover his ass. I still figure he has several motivations, but I'll have to wait to play it myself before I can really decide. Until then, let me know if you try it out, or have tried it out. I expect it to be fucked up, but I'm curious as to the extent of that and if it has any merit or not.

No comments: