Friday, January 23, 2004

One thing I keep asking myself is why candidates who clearly aren't electable even bother running. Yeah, I know, some people know that they won't get elected, and they're running to make some kind of statement. Still, though, there's gotta be a point where it's like, fuck, this is costing a lot of money.

Dennis Kucinich. Anyone who is calling for the creation of a Department of Peace is not going to get elected. I will be the first in line to dismiss that as nothing but liberal nonsense. Al Sharpton. Whenever I see Sharpton, all I can think of is this episode of The Critic where someone is playing a video game whose premise is simply running around New York City and trying to stay alive. One of the obstacles you can come across is Al Sharpton, who blocks your path saying nothing but "Blah blah blah," causing your character to melt.

I've been trying to get over condemning candidates who supported the war. At this point, I'm more interested in what they're going to do to see the Iraq situation through should they get elected. Pragmatically speaking, that's what matters. Plus, there are about a million other issues that are vital in this election. However, I can't let the support for war thing go entirely, and not because I disagree with what they did. The problem I still have with it is that for some candidates, it speaks to an annoying Democratic tendency to be scared into doing what Bush wants, and then later on backtracking and saying what a mistake it was when it's already too late. The war and the PATRIOT act are two good examples. It just doesn't look good.

Kerry tries to cover this by saying that Bush failed to keep his pledge to go to war only as a last resort. You actually bought that, John? You've got to be kidding me. Bush was just itching to go to war. And you would be too, especially if you had Cheney, Wolfowitz, and Rumsfeld around every corner just waiting to run up your ass. "So, are we gonna go to war, or what?"

Seriously, if you can't cut through Bush's bullshit, which is so thick and transparent that it could be used to transport whales to the future, then maybe you shouldn't be president. Of course, I don't think that Kerry or the other guys are this stupid. It's not that they bought the bullshit, it's that they signed on with it anyway.

No comments: