Saturday, February 14, 2004

Just in case if you were feeling good about anything today

So I've gotta admit, I'm a little disappointed this morning. I probably won't be able to explain this quite right, but it's not like it matters, because it's pretty bad no matter which way you slice it.

I think a decent number of people have accepted the fact that we're going to face another terrorist attack on the homeland at some point. Even if the government were to actually do an effective job of protecting us, there's no way they can do absolutely everything. That's just the nature of terrorism; it can't be 100% eliminated. This most likely already makes sense to lots of people outside this country, since they have been dealing with terrorism for years. Us Americans tend to be behind the curve on a lot of things, as I'm sure has been noted.

I know this is sick, but bear with me. For the past couple of years, I've hoped that if the terrorists do strike again, I mean if it absolutely, positively has to happen, I just wish the terrorists would have the decency to strike on Valentine's Day. Look, I don't want people to die (well, except the stupid ones), and I really don't want the government stepping it up with regards to Big Brother mode, but I don't think we can escape it. Maybe we can, but if not, it would be nice if we could at least get something out of it.

I'm just trying to be practical and realistic here. And I'm sorry, but I'd just have to laugh if this stupid day was ruined for everyone. "Honey, I love you. Remember how all those people died a couple of years ago on this very special day?"

Valentine's Day is such a bullshit holiday. I'm sure everyone will find it a complete surprise that Valentine's Day pisses me off. Yes, of course it's because I'm bitter and lonely. We all know that shit. The thing that's agitating is that I don't need a special day once a year to remind me that I'm a loser who's going to die alone; there are already 364 other days of the year that do a good enough job reminding me of that fact. Oh, hey, it's a leap year, isn't it? Bonus.

Even with as negative as I am, even I can see that there's a bright side to Valentine's Day for us who are on our own. Sure, it's a bright side that shines with the luminosity of a 10-watt bulb, but at least it's something. Because you see, even though I get pissed at myself for being on my own like this, in many, many ways, it's a HUGE relief not having a girlfriend or a wife or whatever on Valentine's day. I don't have to deal with all the stress that Valentine's day puts on people who are in relationships.

This is one of the funny things about Valentine's Day; it's bullshit for reasons completely external to me. Let's set aside for a minute that it's a manufactured "Hallmark holiday" and that it's pretty fucking retarded for us to set aside one whole day to tell the person we love that we do indeed love them, or at least that we bought them some chocolates.

Men, at least the ones who give a shit about this "holiday," have to fret over what they're going to do for their woman. They know they have to make it special, because failure is not an option. Meanwhile, women have gotta be worried about what their man is going to do for them, because they of course don't want him to fuck up. They want him to do a good job because they want to feel special and to feel loved. Oh, and because they're greedy. I should know because I'm such a fucking woman myself. The part that makes it truly comical is that even if, IF the guy does a good job, there's a decent chance the girl will go to work or school or whatever after Valentine's day and hear what all her girlfriends' boyfriends did for them. Some women are going to come away from that pissed off seeing as how their SO didn't do what so-and-so's SO did for her.

Valentine's day really is the double-ended dildo of holidays: it fucks everyone.

No comments: