Monday, February 09, 2004

Okay, so James has brought up a question that I've been pondering for awhile. Namely, just how questionable are things like my sailor schoolgirl site?

The Japanese are a big fan of all things "young," and as such the sailor girls often are mid to late teens and sometimes early twenties. So yeah, some are under 18.

I'm no expert on laws with regards to this, but I'm pretty sure that it's okay in most circumstances when there's no nudity involved. I know that's not the only factor in making something illegal, as one could argue the context of said material since we all know what guys are doing with pics like these.

Of course, here in the states, a girl doesn't have to be over 18 to appear in something racy that doesn't involve nudity. Girls under 18 have appeared in Victoria's Secret, which everyone knows is a huge strokefest. I think under 18 models can pose for things like the SI Swimsuit issue. The stipulation is that for girls who appear in things like that, their parents must consent and be present at the photo shoots.

Oh, and let us not forget Britney Spears, who was showing it off before she was 18, in a school uniform no less.

In addition to the legal side of things, there's always the issue as to whether or not this is just plain wrong and exploitative. I'd say that's going to depend on the individual model. Some of them are undoubtedly mature enough to handle this and know what's involved, others you might argue are being taken advantage of.

Naturally, my worry over this comes from a few sources. One, I'm a paranoid fuck. Two, I have the patent inability to let myself enjoy anything. Three, I know how bloody uptight we are in this country. You could never get away with large-scale school uniform photography over here like in Japan. Not necessarily because it's illegal (but not like I have a definitive answer), but just because you'd be fucking run out of town for trying it. We are so afraid to link "youth" and "sex" that it's not even funny. By youth, of course, I'm not talking about little kids, I'm talking about those fun teenage years we all went through, are going through, or will go through (I'm sure there are plenty of pre-teens running around this site; if they are that's their parents' fucking fault). You know, the years dominated by those "raging hormones." I've already hit on this subject area before, so I'll spare you for the moment.

Of course, we will link youth and sex when it suits us, like with Britney. Usually, it suits us if there's money to be made. "Exploitation? What exploitation? Oh, that exploitation? Well, look at this pile of money." As such, if I'm going to hell for this, then this society is coming with me. Take that as a pun if you wish.

In the end, apparently I'm not that worried, otherwise I wouldn't be setting up sites and making 'blog posts about it. Unless, of course, if my tendency to share too much with strangers is shining through.

At this point, I'm pretty sure it's just going to depend on the jury I land. But does anyone have a better idea than I do, so people like James and I can get a better idea as to whether or not we should be waiting for that "knock on the door"?

No comments: