Saturday, September 27, 2003

You may remember my September 1st rant about college athletics. Well, I now have a couple of extra reasons to be pissed off.

You've gotta be fucking shitting me. Getting a scholarship because you're pretty? Yeah, that's sexist, and I don't care, because it's true. Cheerleading is not a sport - it's an activity. A very necessary activity, by the way. Okay, maybe what I'm saying isn't true if the cheerleaders at my alma mater were any indication. In that case, I don't know why the fuck they'd be getting money.

Of course, this is sidestepping the real issue of playing dirty tricks to give more funding to men's programs, if indeed that's what's going on. Again, though, that just fuels the anger already in place over the exorbitant amount of attention paid to male college athletes.

No comments: