Monday, September 08, 2003

It has arrived: the greatest day ever. The culmination of over two decades of collecting. The Gadgetmobile is in the motherfucking house.

The thing that always irked me was that I was just dying to know how the toy was going to work. Actually, if it was going to work at all. I wasn't sure how they were going to pull off the conversion from car to van, and actually make it look good. Now, after amost exactly 20 years (the prototypes are dated 1983), I have the answer.

I had completely forgotten about the fact that the Clawmobile was also supposed to be made, because I was more interested in the Gadgetmobile back then. As it turns out, the Clawmobile is fucking sweet, too.

You'd think that people might clean up the shit they're hawking on eBay, but I guess that's because most people aren't me. A sponge and some soapy water helped; but I'm not sure if there's any way to get rid of that "Twenty year-old toy" smell. It may be time for something lemon fresh.

Anyway, I'll post some pics later on, because these things really are fucking cool. It's neat that I have them now, and got to pay a bunch of money for them, but these would have been a blast back in the 80s. I can just picture myself running around my grandparents' house playing with 'em.

I think it's official: I am the fucking best at finding shit. It might take 20 years, but if it's out there, somewhere, I'll find it. Whether or not it found its way to store shelves is apparently not an issue.

No comments: